Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Review: The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour


Addictive and beautiful, The Disenchantments is one of my favorite contemporaries this year.

The Disenchantments kicks off with two best friends Colby and Bev graduating from high school. Colby is ecstatic because in one week, he will be touring Europe with his best friend Bev. They have planned the tour since the beginning of high school year, and he can hardly wait for them to spend a year together in amazing countries in Europe. Before the much-awaited journey in Europe, the two best friends will spend a one-week last tour with Bev’s girl band, The Disenchantments. But in the first day of their tour, Bev suddenly announces that she can’t go to Europe with Colby because she will go to college. Colby is angry and confused of the sudden announcement, but more than everything he is hurt because Bev has never told him about her plan to go to college. But the show must go on and Colby is their only roadie. With no back-up college plan or any desire to travel alone in foreign countries, Colby must find out during this one-week tour: what would he do next after The Disenchantments’ tour ends?

First of all, I just want to praise Nina LaCour for her wonderful writing! When I was reading it, it was very easy to imagine myself sitting in the backseat of the van along with the members of The Disenchantments. The story in this book is split into eight days, and it was like watching an imaginary movie unfolding before my eyes. The events flow really well and I like to get to know all of these characters. They all bear their own unique characteristics that make them stand out.

Colby is a wonderful protagonist that I really like. He’s an artist with observant eyes and laid-back attitude. He’s the type of guy best friend any girl would love to have. His undying love to Bev is really sweet as well. I love how they have been best friends since childhood. However, Bev is not a character I instantly warmed up with. She is tough, secretive, and confusing, and I didn’t really appreciate her for hurting Colby in purpose. But she has her own reasons for her decisions, and once I get to know her more, I begin to see things that Colby has always seen in Bev.

The rest of the members of the band have stunning qualities as well. Meg is loud, cheerful, and basically the type of girl you would like to hang out with. She’s the type of person whose presence would brighten the whole room. Meg’s sister, Alexa, is the responsible one in the band. She’s almost like their secretary, but it’s cute that she believes so much in fate. When Alexa leads them far away from their destination because she insists to follow what Magic Eight Ball said, it’s such a smile-inducing moment for me. Every character in the book has their spotlight moment, and they feel like my dear friends when I closed the book.

I think everyone can relate easily to issues presented in The Disenchantments. Like Colby, we all have experienced moments when we doubt about what we really wants to do in our lives. We have the vague image of what we want to do, but we don’t know yet what steps we should take to get there. And like Bev, we all have secrets that mold us into what we are now. Each character in this book has their own issue and I think they handle it pretty well in the end.

All in all, The Disenchantments would appeal most to fans of contemporary. I would recommend it to people who are looking for good road-trip books with characters they can identify themselves with. :)

It isn’t complicated, it isn’t surprising. It is simple and sad. She told me thousands of lies, so many that it could take forever to forgive her, and there are so many things I could say back to her right now. About being cowardly. About being deceitful. About being reckless with someone else. But I don’t want to say any of that. Instead, I step toward her and she drops her arms from over her chest. I hold her close and she holds me.

And it doesn’t take forever, all it takes is this.









I rate this book:
Four cups of tea. Amazing! Love the book, it’s simply awesome. I love the tea flavor!  A strong recommendation.

25 comments:

  1. This is such an awesome review Hilda, you know I;m a huge fan of contemporaries especially ones which feature road trips, I think this book has everything I love and need in a book! I will definitely be buying this asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful review, Hilda! This sounds like such a cute contemporary book. Colby seems like a great protagonist. I feel bad that Bev hurt him though. I would probably take some time to warm up to him myself. I need to get this book as soon as I can because you praised the author's writing! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the book, Hilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! It sounds amazing, so I'll definitely have to check it out. I especially love easy it was to relate to and road trip novels are some of the best, so I'll be checking this out for sure! :) Amazing review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Colby too! I couldn't really understand Bev but could see why Colby was so enamored. It would be a good fit for fans of contemporary. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review, Hilda. Sounds like something I would enjoy. I like music-themed books, road trip novels (though I need to read more) and guy narrators. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. You convinced me Hilda. I must read this! I don't usually like books told from guy's perspectives but Colby sounds like a great narrator. Plus, I love roadtrip books, and I love the idea that it follows around a band while their on tour! Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your review, I want to read this book already. I love to travel and Europe is like my dream continent LOL. Thanks for lovely review :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww I love road trip books! I've read Nina Lacour's first book and loved her writing style so I'll definitely be adding this to my TBR list. Colby sounds awesome and I LOVED the quote you used at the end!
    Fantastic review as always Hilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I've seen this book around but I must admit I never gave it much thought. Shame on me, I suppose. Colby and Bev sound truly wonderful, Hilda. And I love that you had such nice things to say about the writing. You know how I am, I just can't resist a beautifully constructed sentence.
    Fantastic review, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *claps excitedly* I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed this book! I actually picked this one up not too long ago and tried reading it, but I could NOT get into it! The plot in the beginning was much too slow. But after reading your review, I think I'll have to give it another try some time! It wasn't like I hated the characters, either, and now I really want to get to know them! Brilliant review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I can be quite fussy with contemporary, this sounds like the sort of books I'd enjoy. I need to pick this up soon, especially after all the brilliant things I have heard. Great review, sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now! I love and adore contemporary books so I need to read The Disenchantments soon ;) Plus, Colby and Bev's relationship sounds really cute and sweet.

    Awesome review, Hilda ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Disenchantments sounds AMAZING, Hilda! Especially when you say it's your fave contemp of 2012! Makes me want to read it right away!! I read Hold Still by Nina LaCour and loved the writing in Hold Still as well so I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this book. Amazing review as always :D hope you're doing good!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous review, Hilda! :) You expressed the beauty of this book with such perfection that I immediately added this to my TBR pile. I love contemporary, subtle relationships and road trip novels, so this book sure sounds like a book for me. :) And I really want to meet Colby - did you say observant artist? ;) I'm so delighted that you were a fan of this, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful review, Hilda. I've been meaning to read this book since the time it came out but with the amount of my tbr and galley books I need to read first I almost forgot about this one. Thanks for bringing this up again to me and for the very convincing review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Oh, and the quote! That was really lovely and heartwarming. I can't wait to meet Colby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Although I don't really read contemporary, this sounds like something I'd enjoy. A handful of comtemps have surprised me this year, so I'm willing to give this a go! Great review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. HIII HILDAAA!!!!!!!!! How have you been?? I've missed you so much chicky!!!!!! Sorry I've been kinda absent lately- I was on a short blogging break but I'm back and I'm so HAPPYYYY :P OMG I love the sound of this book! So deep and moving and the fact that you say its one of your favorite contemps of the year speaks volumes. I have a feeling I'll love it too! And I agree, Nina's writing seems so great. Great review as always, sweetie!!!! Missed you so much!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so pleased to hear you liked this book, Hilda! I've heard really amazing things about it, and I'm a huge fan of the beautiful cover. Colby sounds like such a warm-hearted guy, and all the girls in the band sound super fun! I think I'll definitely have to pick this one up soon. Lovely review, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel so silly for not having read this yet! I have wanted to read it forever, I even have a copy! But now your review has me wanting to sit down and read it as it sounds like the perfect summer read!

    I already feel for poor Colby and can't wait to get to know the band!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a great character interest story. I agree with Vegan YA...summer read, so I'll have to wait a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a bittersweet story Hilda. I love that quote you picked. You always pick the most amazing quotes. Wonderful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hilda, happy new year! A bit late, but hope you're having a wonderful start to 2013! <3 Missing you and your beautiful reviews lots :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not really into contemporary books but this seems to be an interesting one.

    BTW, I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog. You can check it out and join :) FOllower APpreciation GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...