Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma


3.5 stars

Reviewing Forbidden in complete, coherent thoughts is one of the hardest things I did. I still am not really sure about the stars I give to this book. This book can earn two, three, or even five stars from me. I'm just too conflicted with my own feelings. Books with dysfunctional family theme always leave me feeling sad. I mourn how much children would be affected because of their parents. I especially hate it when parents can be completely ignorant of their kids and just mind their own business. This is one of the books, and the result of the dysfunction in the family is the worst.

Lochan and Maya are two siblings separated only by thirteen months. Even since their father’s leaving, they take turn doing household chores and taking care of their little brothers and sister. Lochan was constantly coping with his depression, haunted by his mother’s words when he’s twelve-year-old that he is ‘the man in the family’. Maya tries to help her brother by helping him socialize, but she doesn’t help much. Lochan has some kind of phobia to people and he can’t bring himself to talk to people out of his family members.

They try to hide the fact their mother is gone most of the time so they’re always on their own. If Social Services know about their condition, the children would be forced to go to foster houses. In this hard situation, Lochan and Maya find themselves forbiddingly attracted to each other. Even though they know that they can never have future together, and their relationship would threaten the fragile string of hope in their family…

Oh, what can I say about this book? Forbidden is a gripping read and I found myself devouring the story. It’s obvious than Lochan is broken, even more crushed than any members of his family. He has sudden outbursts and he said things he doesn’t mean sometimes, but I liked Lochan and I really hoped that he would recover from his depression and anxiety problem. Lochan thinks way too much and the only who can help him is his sister, Maya. Maya never doubts Lochan and she always sees the bright view in everything. If Lochan is in darkness, Maya is a representation of light to Lochan.

I don’t usually like reading two POVs in a book, but Forbidden is an exception. I love reading Maya’s cheerful and bright thoughts, and getting glimpses of Lochan’s darker thoughts and fear. The transition between Lochan and Maya’s feelings is fairly smooth. A character I especially resent in this book is their mother. She’s completely oblivious to the fact that her children are suffering. She spends money on useless things to please her boyfriend, while her children are struggling to make ends meet. I feel like she’s the one to blame of the messed up result.

Forbidden is a disturbing read, one that will leave you feeling completely raw and twisted. I recommend this book to people who enjoy mature YA with psychological streak since the theme of this book might be considered offensive to some people. 

They said that we refused to mix, that we had no friends. But they were wrong. We had each other. He was my best friend in the world. He still is.



I rate this book: 
  Three cups of tea. Don't let the rates deceive you. Recommended to read but I know this book is not for everyone.

21 comments:

  1. I'm frequently attracted to books that try to shake things up a little, and while I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Forbidden, it's still on my to-read list for that reason. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this book definitely one that tackles serious topic and shake things up, Natalie! I can't wait to read your review if you ever get around to read this book! :)

      Delete
  2. I remember when I read Forbidden... I also found it disturbing, yet beautiful at the same time. One think I kept thinking through all the book, though, was that the romantic scenes were the most beautifully portrayed that I had ever read. I loved both Maya and Lochan, and my heart ache for both. And I admit it, I cried. A lot.

    I had mixed feelings like you, but I don't regret picking it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the verge of tears too when I read the last chapter. I mean, it's just so heartbreaking. I understand the need of the author to finish the book that way, but still... it's just cruel in my mind. x(

      Glad we share the same feelings, Sophie! :)

      Delete
  3. I've read some really positive reviews of this one. Technically I'm meant to be a mature reader but like you books involving family dysfunction always set me on edge. Especially since the whole brother/sister love angle creeps me out a it. I'll be interested to see how it unfolds in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole brother/sister thing is one that made me intrigued to pick this book. Like you, I had wanted to see the ending. It's just one you have predicted even if you haven't read the book, but still... it's heartbreaking. Dysfunctional family theme always make me sad when I read it :(

      Delete
  4. Like I said on Goodreads, I'm really looking forward to reading this book! It sounds incredibly different to anything I might have read in the YA genre before but I imagine it will be a memorable book. I feel like I should have some tissues prepared for it! I can't imagine it will have a happy ending, but I guess I'll find out soon enough...

    Great review lovely Hilda! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I don't want to spoil the ending so you have to find out yourself, Sam! This book is a memorable one indeed. I feel like my soul was sucked out when I read this book LOL. Must be the side effect of reading too much lighter YAs. :P

      Thank you, Sam! ♥

      Delete
  5. Hi Hilda! I just found your blog via Sam's ;)

    Great review, although I have to admit I skimmed it because I have Forbidden on my bookshelf and I still need to read it!

    We're now following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for finding my blog! xD

      You don't need to skip it actually, since I'm very careful not to let out anything that hasn't been mentioned yet in the summary! But I understand your feeling, reading reviews are very dangerous if you want to avoid a little spoiler here and there! x)

      Thank you for following, you guys are amazing! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, Hilda, I can only imagine how hard it would be to review this book! It's one of the reasons why I was so scared to pick this up. If I'm honest, I was never planning on reading this book because incest makes me uncomfortable -- and I'm not looking down on it at all, but it's just something that's hard for me to read, you know? But it sounds like Tabitha handled the topic BEAUTIFULLY (which couldn't be an easy thing to do) and it's what is making me actually consider picking this book up! It sounds so heartbreaking, and sometimes I'm just ready to have my heart broken by a book :')

    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand this book is just not for everyone, Mimi! The relationship does make me uncomfortable, especially it is very lovely! Oh, how much I wish that they're not blood related! I understand the feeling. Sometimes I just want to cry over a good book! When I cried because the series had ended, I felt like I lost a good friend! :)

      Thank you, dear Mimi! ♥

      Delete
  7. It sounds very complex and sad and raw and like a very difficult read. I definitely need to pick this up soon because it sounds like a different and memorable book and it looks like the themes are portrayed sensitively. I LOVE how you add a quote from the book at the end of every review! They go so well with your review and they usually want to make me read the book!

    I'm done with exams so I should be posting again pretty soon. I'm soo glad, haha. Thanks so much for the wishes and support, Hilda and I hope your exams are going well x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only YA I know that concerning the brother/sister relationship. I agree, it's such a sensitive subject but I didn't end up throwing the book across my room, so this must be something amazing, right? (Not that I would ever do that to a book! *horror* :P) Thank you, Ajoop! I love posting quote because in a review, they help me a lot in determining books I want to read! :)

      Yay, I can't wait to talk more with you! I miss your blog post, and thanks for the wishes, Ajoop! <3

      Delete
  8. I've had this book on my shelf for a long while, and I've been considering picking it up, but I always say, "It's too heavy of a read right now." I keep delaying reading it! Ah! I've heard many mixed things about this book. The topic is very taboo, but I've heard Suzuma handles it extremely well. I hope I love this book when I get to it. Wonderful review, Hilda! :) I'm glad you liked it, despite the disturbing topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does! It's a sensitive topic, but I can understand the characters feeling. I don't agree with their action, but well... I can see why they do that, kind of. I hope when you read this book, you'll love it, Sophia! :) Thank you! ♥

      Delete
  9. I am actually REALLY DYING to read this book! The concept of siblings falling in love with each other is something we do not see often in the world of YA. I've heard that this book is raw, sad and beautifully written so I really want to read it and your review definitely convinced me I should get a copy of this book soon! I can't find it in my local library which means I need to buy the book!

    Awesome review, Hilda! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN'T WAIT to read your review, Celine! It's such a heavy concept, one that is really taboo and actually made me cringe a little. But I think that's what me draws me first to this book. I hope you'll enjoy the book! ♥

      Thank you, Celine! ♥

      Delete
  10. I've been staying away from this book because, quite frankly, I don't think I can handle it. I don't mind alternating POVs if the voices are distinctive, and I'm so happy to hear that Maya's and Logan's are.
    No matter how many amazing things I hear about this book, I just can't force myself to pick it up.
    So happy you enjoyed it, Hilda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and another thing, sorry. Love, love, love the new blog button. I've added it to my blogroll right away.

      Delete
    2. It's okay, Maja! I know that this book is not for everyone. The topic is just controversial. The alternating POVs are great, I love it because I can slip inside both minds and see their feelings clearly! :)

      AWW thank you, Maja! ♥ You're such an amazing person! ♥ :)

      Delete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...